On 2012-02-01 16:30, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> First off, the users with performance problems on their machines during
> backups all had a copy of Parallels (Windows emulation software) that was
> either running or had been run in the last day.  Parallels stores a virtual
> hard drive in a single file that is quite large - 14GB in one case and nearly
> 30 in another.  These files were being included in the backups, and I suspect
> are the main culprit of my problem.

Definitely exclude any VM disk images from any backup process. Unless you
can instruct the emulator to snapshot the disk (VMware ESX), there's no
point in copying it. It won't be usable. You'd have the same issue with
Virtualbox.

You can backup the contents of the VM itself, though. I use BackupPC to
backup both hosts and VM clients using rsync. It's easy to make a new VM
disk image, and restore into it.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Religion is the opiate of the masses, so long as the masses are straight.
However, amass a bunch of lesbians and you're going to need actual drugs."