On 2018-04-12 08:13, Adam Pribyl wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Philip Parsons (Velindre - Medical Physics) wrote:

Dear list,

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but I couldn't see anything in recent archives that specifically related to v4 of BackupPC.

I am using BackupPC v4.1.5 to backup hospital data to an on-site server. We would however, like to backup this data to another off-site server. Has anyone had any experience of this?

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to set up another instance of backuppc on the remote server, turn off all the backup functions, copy the config settings, rsync the pool and just have that instance as a restorative method (should something happen to our on-site copy). Is this feasible?

I terribly failed rsyncing 300GB of data from BackupPC v3 to a
different disk/site. It was just too slow. Could be v4 is bit better
without the hard links, but it will definitely be slow. I then used
LVM mirror and it was finished withing few hours - you can find the
thread few month ago here in the list. So no - do not use rsync to
backup BackupPC.
[...]

Why not simply install another instance of BackupPC, i.e. with a different retention policy, and treat both independent? So if your primary instance would be messed up for any reason, you'll not copy that over to your off-site backup..

Raoul
--
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.
E-Mail. ra...@bhatia.at