Hi,

On 2/4/21 5:02 AM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
On 2/3/2021 6:54 PM, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
I just built backuppc for my Raspberry PI and ordered an external SSD
drive that I plan to format in btrfs.

I'm using CentOS, and it looks like Red Hat is dropping btrfs in favor of other filesystems:

(also in the light of last week's thread about BTRFS+compression) a very valid point.

BTRFS is in the kernel, so it's unlikely that you won't find a system to read your files from anytime soon. But obviously, there's a mixed bag of opinions about BTRFS - RedHat ends support in 2019, and Fedora makes it the default in 2020? Seriously? I'm at loss there.

Distro support is a serious thing to consider. In general, backuppc will happily work with whatever is the default file system of your distribution. For CentOS and RedHat, XFS is the obvious choice, and BTRFS will not give you any benefit except for compression, but potentially a wealth of trouble. You shouldn't need a whole lot of fancy features like snapshotting, copy-on-write, deduplication etc. on your pool anyways.

Cheers,
Alex