Michael Stowe wrote at about 20:50:45 +0000 on Wednesday, February 10, 2021:
 > On 2021-02-09 16:34, G.W. Haywood via BackupPC-users wrote:
 > > Hi there,
 > >
 > > On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
 > >
 > >> G.W. Haywood via BackupPC-users wrote at about 14:26:30 +0000 on
 > >> Friday, February 5, 2021:

 > >> Any objective data or recent link to such instability.
 > >> Would be very interested in validating that.
 > >
 > > https://access.redhat.com/discussions/3138231
 >
 > Not sure if you misunderstood the question, or didn't follow the link,
 > or didn't realize it appeared earlier in the thread, but that absolutely
 > does not qualify as objective data, nor is it particularly accurate.

Good point!
While people will (and should) compare the pros/cons of different
filesystems until the end of time (like vi vs. emacs), it is either
naive or highly partisan to think that a well-distributed and accepted
filesystem like btrfs is 'unstable'.

There are huge corporations with investments, capabilities, and data
exposure (infinitely larger than mine) that have been working with btrfs
for years. It is ridiculous to think that any modern (non
experimental) Linux distro would include btrfs as an option let alone
as sometimes the default if it were fundamentally unstable.

Could there be bugs yet to be uncovered? Sure - that's true for all
software and shown in practice every day. Is it likely to be a common,
devastating bug that will destroy the average users filesystem
(vs. some rare perhaps never to be seen in the real world edge case)
-- highly unlikely given the degree of development, review, and
real-world use to date.

The chance that my data is corrupted due to a hard disk failure, power
line surge, or other hardware/software error (let alone my own user
error) is likely 10 orders of magnitude higher than intrinsic btrfs
instability.

There may be many reasons not to choose btrfs but calling it blanket
'unstable' discredits any real arguments one might have.