Hi there,

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021, Kenneth Porter wrote:
On Wed, 3 Feb 2021, backuppc@kosowsky wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2021, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > > I'm deploying a system with an external (USB) 1.5 TB drive. How should I > > format it? (Ie. which filesystem is best for this?) > > I just built backuppc for my Raspberry PI and ordered an external SSD
> drive that I plan to format in btrfs.

I'm using CentOS, and it looks like Red Hat is dropping btrfs ...

They're dropping BTRFS because they can't support it in the way they'd
like to for their commercial customers.  That's because it's unstable.
It's been said that it's been almost ready for production for about a
decade, and I can't help thinking that it will probably stay that way
until it expires during the heat death of the universe.

For a backup system, I wouldn't even consider BTRFS.

If I were going to try BTRFS for anything at all (I have no reason at
all to want to explore that kind of a headache) then first I'd create
an EXT4 filesystem, and then I'd convert that to BTRFS in situ.  Then,
if all else failed, I could revert to EXT4 at, er, the drop of a hat.

Theoretically.

--

73,
Ged.