Hi there,

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
Michael Stowe wrote at about 20:50:45 +0000 on Wednesday, February 10, 2021:
> On 2021-02-09 16:34, G.W. Haywood via BackupPC-users wrote:
> > Hi there,

> >> Would be very interested in validating that.

Good point!
While people will (and should) compare the pros/cons of different
filesystems until the end of time (like vi vs. emacs), it is either
naive or highly partisan to think that a well-distributed and accepted
filesystem like btrfs is 'unstable'.

I don't want to get into a pointless argument but I do feel the need to
get the point across.  Apparently I haven't yet done a good job of that.

The problem seems to be that people don't understand what's meant in
this context by the word 'unstable'.

Several people seem to think it means "contains faults".  It doesn't.
It means that it's a moving target.  In the case of BTRFS it's been a
moving target more or less since its creation, and people at Red Hat
were unable to keep up with it for that reason.  Which is what I said
at the outset, and what is expressed in comments in the link I posted.
(This is, incidentally and despite specious argument to the contrary,
perfectly objective.)

Each of us must draw his own conclusions about how a lack of stability
might or might not affect any uses which he might make of any product.
In this case, I've drawn mine and I consider the matter now closed.

--

73,
Ged.