On Friday 10 November 2006 15:01, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 05:27, Martin Simmons wrote:
> > >
> > > The LICENSE will not be changed, only the copyright holder, so Bacula
will
> > > continue to be distributed under GPL version 2 + a few additions that
are
> > > specified in the LICENSE file.  When GPL version 3 is released, we'll
take a
> > > look at whether or not we want to use it (with input from Bacula users,
of
> > > course).
> >
> > I'm a bit confused about the connection between copyright ownership and
the
> > license.  Are there any issues with changing the license if you don't own
the
> > copyright?  Conversely, can the copyright owner change the license without
> > consulting anyone else?
>
> Copyright owners can release a work under different licenses
> at the same or different times.  However with a work that
> has been released under any sort of public license it would
> be pretty difficult to prove that parts of the code were
> not actually owned by other contributors unless the
> person claiming ownership has been careful to obtain
> copyright assignments from anything he has accepted and
> included from others.

Well, I have been pretty careful in regard to getting copyright assignments
from any major contribution (i.e. more than 20% of any single file).  In more
recent times, the copyright assignments are explicitly signed, in some older
cases, it is by email or the fact that the author of the code explicitly
copyrighted it under my name.  There is some cleanup work to be done, so I
suspect that some of the previous contributors may be contacted by FSFE (to
be worked out).

In any case, the Bacula copyright assignment policy has been clearly spelled
out from the beginning of the project in the Developer's guide.