Hi, Sandra,

At 01:10 PM 9/28/03 -0800, you wrote:
>>Got me thinking this is probably why sometimes your comments leave me with more
>>questions than answers...  ;- )<<

I am a fan of neologisms. However, in this case, I believe I am using the term
"literalism" with its standard theological definition.

>>Reflecting on other views you've expressed (my past experience) is it more accurate
>>to say that your usage of the word "literalism" is more closely related to "realism"
>>in the sense of observable facts without idealization?<<

Literalism is naive, or extreme, realism. Observable facts without idealization would,
I think, be a better description of positivism. IMO, positivism can also be extreme,
but it is a bit different from literalism.

>>My question would then be how can an individual or a society evolve progressively
>>without some form of idealization or vision of what might be as opposed to what has
>>been?<<

Sociologist Karl Manheim wrote of the tension between ideology (the false
consciousness of the oppressed and the class consciousness of the oppressor) and
utopia (the class consciousness of the oppressed). Literalism more often buttresses
the interests of the former than the latter. It is fundamentally text as prison.
Freedom from literalism allows utopia, i.e., "a vision of what might be."

>>>I have other questions concerning the relationship of gestalt to sociology as
>>>opposed to psychology.<<

If you mean gestalt psychology, founded by Max Wertheimer, it has had no direct
influence on sociology. Neither has gestalt therapy (Fritz "do your own thing" Perls).

>>>I was raised in Kansas City, (MO) remember... <<

Yep. Enjoy the concert. I have lived here for over 10 years now.

Mark A. Foster * http://MarkFoster.net
http://CompuServe.m.foster.name