Lewis emailed me about this thread - I hadn't maintained or kept track
of the ShellService 1.0 build (or source) for some time, but as it's
fairly simple I went ahead and put together a 2.0 version with builds
for Leopard and Snow Leopard.  This is Apache-2.0 licensed open
source, use at your own risk and feel free to let me know about bugs,
use the source, or send me patches or improvements.

It's on the Open Source page at <http://urania-consulting.com>.  The
LICENSE-README.rtf explains how it works and what its limitations are
- still not quite as fancy as MPW. ;-)

Regards,
Chris