On May 1, 2010, at 3:07 PM, Charlie Garrison wrote:

> Most people (including me) find the non-modal search a huge leap forward. And
> for those that don't there is an option to revert to the modal search.

I know. I'm using the revert option. I honestly can't find an advantage to the
non-modal search. All it seems to do is take away a feature I was using. :)

> The reason for removing 'start at top' from non-modal has been discussed on
> this list (many times over) so the archives should reveal detailed reasons
> for it. My understanding (or memory) is that each time you hit cmd-g the
> search would start at the top again, which would make 'find next' useless.
> And I think most people consider 'find next' more important than 'start at
> top'.

That's what I read as well. Though I don't understand why that has to be the
case. Why can't it work the way the modal find works - where it is reset after
the first use anyway. In the modal search you have to Cmd-T to search from the
top each time you enter. Otherwise you search from the current position.

Once you are in the non-modal find window why couldn't the same thing be
possible? Just unset the "search from top" after the first search.

I guess I'm missing the logic here as to why that's not possible.

doug