I've written scripty solutions for related tasks - this particular job is evolving as time goes - it'll get something smart in place someday. To me, it was a mere parenthetical wish that bbedit could dredge for emails. There's more than one reason to want to do such a thing - many- a-web-developer has been asked to "take this random badly formatted block of text, and return all non-duplicate instances of the email addresses, no matter where they're found in this directory of files". Usually because other members of a marketing team want to do mass emails, and can't make a solution themselves from their multiple sources of data (trade shows, whatever).
For the curious, I'm handling bounceback failures for a newsletter, and updating the status in a database accordingly. I only bother doing this about once a quarter. There are half a dozen or so typical ways an email will bounce back (in english - other languages multiply this). My solution was to copy a type of failure (sort by message), paste it into bbedit, and trigger my script (which is really just a canned Process Lines Containing followed by a find/replace) -- it's so quick I don't even bother turning it into a genuine script (i'd probably do it with applescript, since the menu is available). Since it's IMAP and I don't have local copies, the script solution would be serverside. If I'm going to do that, it's better to make it trigger on incoming email, and not batch - which is my plan eventually. But I'm still learning what failures look like, and I'm not ready for that yet. It's simply easiest for now to sort/copy/ paste, and let bbedit do the scrubbing. Anyway, I consider all of that off topic - i don't think it was the crux at all. I meant this to be less about my specific task, which seems to change all the time, and more about the fact that I can no longer copy/paste an email into bbedit directly, which I would hope can be fixed (in a new release or with a setting I haven't discovered). On Jul 9, 12:53 pm, [email protected] wrote: > When you ask about dredging email addresses, are you only talking > about those within the headers of the emails? If so, it would seem a > nearly trivial effort to code up a bit of Perl (or whichever language > you prefer) to parse the message store, snag email addresses, and pipe > them into a list in a new text file or whatever format you required. > I'm sorry. i know that's not a BBEdit solution, but it does seem to > get to the crux of the matter of what you're attempting to accomplish. > I am not currently at home on my system, so i cannot attempt this and > troubleshoot what is happening to/with the clipboard from Mail. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the "BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group.
