In general, this is a polite forum and whoever you are referring to
as Mucky-Mucks would probably tell you, I hope in more polite and respectful
way, that among the many reasons for well-designed code is portability
across different rendering engines. The notion of using classes and not
embedding style elements in code is not an academic bloviation but sensible
code structure.  How can it more bloated to write <span class = "BB""> than
<i> - both require closing tags and the former forces the rendering device
to obey your design.  You are free of course, to have your opinion and write
your code however you wish, but rude language does not help you make your
case.