On 7-Nov-2010, at 11:31, Linda wrote:

 How do I prevent Tidy in BBEdit when I reflow a document from changing

You don't. <i> and <b> should not be used.

That depends. If the intent is to have the file shorter (due to the tags being shorter) then using i/b as opposed to em/strong is indicated.

OTOH: If the reason is to control the display of the tagged text, then you get into the issue of em/strong displaying however the browser feels like it wants to support these tags which may not be as if they were i/b tags. If you use em/strong in lieu of i/b then the only way to insure display as italic/bold is to use CSS to hit the browser over the head with a 2x4 by defining i/b as italic/bold in lieu of the Browser's default display choice.