On Aug 20, 2011, at 1:03 PM, David Alexander wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:10:31 +0100, "G. T. Stresen-Reuter"
> <tedmaster...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow. Somebody's having a bad day...
>>
>> RTFM
>>
>> And then try being a little more polite before asking for help next time.
>
> I don't see him asking for help.  I see him venting his frustration
> after spending too much time struggling with the changes introduced
> with v10.  Changes that don't actually seem to be improvements.  And
> despite that some might see it as rude or obnoxious, it's still good
> feedback for the developers.  It's quite obvious from the message
> traffic over the past couple months that BB really missed the mark
> with some of the enhancements in v10.

Mostly I agree.  As a casual observer, it appears to me that BB only missed the
mark with a specific set of users.  Users that apparently have different
product and use expectations than the BB folks or some on this forum.  It turns
out that usability is really hard for developers or other technocrats.  The
last web site I was responsible for (top 250 internet retailer) we spent more
$$ and time on usability than we did on development (and it paid off
handsomely).  It also taught me that I am a f**** idiot when it comes to
understanding certain types of users.  Other types I was dead on.  The key is
balancing the needs/desires of many different types of users and without
usability professionals involved it will be wrong.  I know for a fact that
developers cannot do usability.  Now I have no idea what occurred at BB, but
the range of comments is a symptom that usually points to the usability
analysis (or lack thereof.)

If frustrated users are berated or otherwise urged to keep quiet it does no one
any good.  Its hard to hear sometimes, but the anti frustrated users sentiment
on this forum is a sure way to encourage people to move on to other products.
That hurts BB in the long run.  IMO telling someone to shut the f***** up
and/or RTFM is ruder and has even less value than the original comment.

With today's software no one reads the manual unless they have to do something
very esoteric.  Not reading the manual and having perfect usability has become
a 21st century expectation led largely by Apple.  BBedit runs on Apple products
and as a result the bar is higher than PC products.  As a developer myself, I
want to hear even the most frustrated users as it is not uncommon for these
users to bring the most value.  My suggestion is that if you have a thin skin,
then just ignore the comment, it will be better for everyone.