Roger wrote>
> Notwithstanding Lloyd's positive remarks about the Dalgety area,
> the extended results of lack of rain, overgrazing and invasive weed are
> very evident in reducing soil quality and growth patterns - and this
> land is marginal to begin with.

It was more a general comment on the area, I'd agree that Dalgety is pretty
marginal, its fairly low rainfall and the soils are ordinary. The Monaro
used to be lightly stocked but hard times and bad advice from government
experts in the 70's led to farmers trying to run numbers that the country
was not capable of supporting long term. I remember a farmer from that area
(Dalgety side of town) going through court for "failure to control rabbits"
in 1969 or 70, politely told the beak that with a wife and kids to support
he was catching 200 pair a night and had no intention of eliminating his
only useful source of income until wool prices improved.
I dont know what it was but in a short time up there I met a lot of good
people - they seemed to have a depth of character - maybe tough times do
that ? But I think there is an energy factor in that whole area that you
dont see in other places.
Cheers
Lloyd Charles