Your palaver today really interests me.  You're right, Roger, I couldn't
and wouldn't forward your messages today to the Weed Supervisor or the
University of Idaho researchers.  They're not ready for it.  You're
absolutely right in just doing it.

I am hosting a Biological Control for Knapweed Workshop on our road this
Friday where the U. of ID researchers are going to deploy a weevil that
eats knapweed seeds.  This is the latest thing in weed control here.  We
have lots of knapweed on our right-of-way.  It's been a rainy spring and
seeds have germinated.  We sprayed the D-8 peppers for knapweed and tansy.
It is affecting the knapweed and tansy population, but the powers that be
will not see this and I'm not planning to tell them.  They will only get a
report on the things they understand.  You are way ahead of us.

We've only been sprayed with 2,4-D, etc. (Curtail and Escort) once in 1999,
but the hormone is still in the ground.  Seeds that germinate in the
sprayed area are unnaturally larger than the same plants up our private
right-of-way.  It's a self-fulfilling prophesy that the species they have
declared "noxious" will continue so they can continue to spray every three
years.  Changing the "soil" properties either by material or energetic
means is the way and it's going to take time to figure it all out.
Somehow, I hope the powers here have faith in me and will allow us to
continue to experiment with non-chemical methods.

I spoke at a Weed Awareness Day program about our volunteer research here
which is just scratching the surface. The evaluation sheets they got asked
for more "organic" information next year.  Little by little.  I don't think
the governmental groups will be able to do it financially in their present
paradigm.  My feeling is that it's got to be grassroots people demanding
"natural" approaches to agricultural problems and doing it themselves.  I
think the ideas are spreading on that level.

I would very much like to learn your proprietary protocol...someday.

Hopefully,

Merla