I'm curious, why the difference versus Debian?

I looked at the Ubuntu uEnv.txt and it has the flasher line commented just
like Debian.
I made a bad assumption that this functionality was the same in both
distros.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/6d1e0670-b37c-4eaf-bd1c-f65c80e07fba%40googlegroups.com.