Thank you!

Yes, I would think symbols would need to be included to break on functions,
but I believe the video I watched (TI board port series modules 6,7)
specified to load the bin file after switching CCS into debug mode.. When I
get a native linux machine setup, I'll be able to report back. Going to try
that tomorrow, but then there's that corporate network thing...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/aba9cd4a-6def-4b6e-9b97-7fa28ff6cd1c%40googlegroups.com.