On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Harke Smits <yrra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Learned group,
>
> I have a BBB with Debian version 2017-03-19, the latest release as far as
> I know, with a 4D systems display. I have made a Python script using
> TkInter, running fine on another BBB system with an older Debian version.

OK, so you are interacting with your BBB directly, not from another
computer via SSH or serial, right?

> I made a simple testscript using TkInter as well. Running the testscript
> form XTerm or UXTerm (what is the difference?) works: a simple window pops
> up.
> Running the same from Debian bash directly displays the well known error
> above. I googled a lot but no answer found yet.

What do you mean by 'from the debian bash'? Normally, you're sitting in
front of a graphical desktop (i.e. running the X server or Wayland)
displaying a terminal emulator (e.g. XTerm) that runs a shell (e.g. bash).
The shell command (e.g. xclock) starts the process that issues X11 commands
that go to the current $DISPLAY and show up as windows.
If you're not running the X server, i.e. sitting at the raw text terminal
console (all black screen with white text), you cannot and will  not see
graphics.

The older system with similar software runs fine from autostart. Maybe I
> need to do here as well? I can not find autostart in the lastest Debian
> version: it must be in a different directory that I know of.
> Finally: if I run the original script (running fine on the older system) I
> just get a blank screen and system halts.

If you want to use your system in graphics mode you should autostart X.
Usually it is done by asking it to go to the graphical run state (5 in the
old sysV init scripts, graphical.target in systemd)
For debugging, you can type 'startx' to start X manually.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAC%3D1GgEwLf4sHO_iA%2BwGg3-8YCNjy%3DJL5OZxv4prH5bPLn0Y9A%40mail.gmail.com.