On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 6:13 AM, Harke Smits <yrra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have a stand alone Beagleboard system, keyboard/mouse connected via usb
> dongle. The system starts up normally, in grafics mode, I can invoke
> internet, no problem, LAN connected. Going to XTerm I get the linux prompt,
> still in grafics mode. A simple TKInter test program works.

OK, this is normal

Going to linux (XTRL/ALT/F1) I can invoke startx that brings me back were I
> came from: the grafics environment (LXDE).

Now, this is not needed---you already have X running, and you should run
all your GUI programs from the Xterm like your TKInter test above. There's
no need to 'go to linux' again. Perhaps you are mislead by the fact that
after you run a graphical program from the shell prompt in XTerm you don't
get the prompt back---but that's easily fixed by running the command in the
background by adding the ampersand to the end of the command:
tesst &

When you go to the text console and do startx again, you have dueling X
servers, and I am not sure what is the expected result of that. Don't do
that---use the original X by either running in background with &, or
creating a new xterm, or arranging for your app icon to be visible so that
you can run it by doubleclicking the icon.

Starting the TKInter test program from the Linux prompt gives me the famous

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAC%3D1GgH_1i-X_bGVYUE9vEv2uBO%3DMZ3dzV08wU2ix%3D36c8_s0A%40mail.gmail.com.