Hello Przemek,

Thanks for your reaction. I am by no means an expert so I may have the
terminology wrong. I have a stand alone Beagleboard system, keyboard/mouse
connected via usb dongle. The system starts up normally, in grafics mode, I
can invoke internet, no problem, LAN connected. Going to XTerm I get the
linux prompt, still in grafics mode. A simple TKInter test program works.
Going to linux (XTRL/ALT/F1) I can invoke startx that brings me back were I
came from: the grafics environment (LXDE). Starting the TKInter test
program from the Linux prompt gives me the famous error message in the
title. In Xterminal "echo $DISPLAY" renders :1, in plain linux: a blank
line.  Starting my application in XTerm gives a fully blank screen.
Still very puzzling.......
I hope you or someone else can bring me further.
Kind regards,
Harke

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAHmciaZapXVRMnh_mTXpKx7nyfEdK01LG%2Bi6131dQ%2BGhkpWYRw%40mail.gmail.com.