I think that is what I am looking for to replace the typical "hack"
solution I found described in a few places with a search.
The hack solution uses a systemd service and a script to force the system
clock to the value read from the hardware clock rtc1 shortly after boot.

This works, somewhat, but I noticed the hwclock was drifting several
seconds per day, even after connecting the board to the internet with
network time
and allowing the drift adjustment to work.  I suspected the drift
adjustment is not being applied to the external clock rtc1.

Note that there is a kernel option to change the hardware clock to rtc1.
 The default is of course rtc0.  So if you are building or re-building the
kernel this would be the easiest solution.

I'll try your device tree fragments soon and report what happens.  Thanks
for the work on this, the clock drift problem is the last piece of one of
my projects still not resolved.

Regards,
Greg

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/4f7803c9-6775-4e2d-991d-c6d1e89dac53%40googlegroups.com.