How about booking shared expenses to an Expenses:Joint:Rent (or similar)
account?  If you want to keep track of joint expenses that your girlfriend
paid for, you could make the source account:  Equity:Girlfriend-Paid or
something similar?

Tags on accounts (or postings?) would be a nice thing to have.  Using tags
on transactions for this purpose seems like a hack.

Account tags can be simulated by just adding more colon-separated
components, but that is annoying in various ways.