There are two methods going on in this thread, a simple method of keeping a
running account of the other person's contributions and paying their share
of expenses from that account, and a more complex method of maintaining a
separate beancount ledger dedicated for the project and that recording
contributions from all parties. I'll assume you meant the former, simpler
method, not the latter.

It's simple: you book the other side of the deposit to the account for each
person's contribution:

2018-01-25 * "Money for rent and other expenses"
  Assets:Pending:Bob      -1000.00 USD
  Assets:Checking          1000.00 USD

2018-01-25 * "Money for rent and other expenses"
  Assets:Pending:Alice    -1100.00 USD
  Assets:Checking          1100.00 USD

When it's time to pay the rent, you just pay your bit (Expenses:Rent) and
use their account to pay the remaining portions:

2018-02-01 * "Paying the rent"
  Assets:Checking        -2400.00 USD
  Assets:Pending:Bob       800.00 USD
  Assets:Pending:Alice     800.00 USD
  Expenses:Rent             800.00 USD

Whether you choose to maintain their accounts as assets or liabilities -
merely a naming change - is a matter of whether they choose to pay you
ahead of time most of the time (you safeguard some of their money in
preparation for spending - Assets), or after the fact, i.e., after expenses
have accrued (they always owe you after you've paid for them -
Liabilities). In either case, the signs all stay the same. When you pay the
rent, you increase their accounts (if they started at zero, those hold a
receivable that you have on them). When they pay you, you decrease that
receivable  (or increase the liability - a negative number).

Hope this helps,