This thread feels suspiciously close to the change I'm trying to model, but
it's still not quite making sense to me.

I have several roommates. I originally thought that each person would pay
into an "Asset:Pending:GoesToRent" account, then that would pay out to the
"Expenses:Housing:TheMortgage" expense.

The wrinkle comes in that they're paying me into my "Assets:Checking"
account, and I want to do balance assertions on it. The account diversion
stuff mentioned previously appears to be just syntatic sugar for mapping to
a tag. Is that right?

My goal is to understand how much of my housing expense is coming from me
versus everyone else, so an intermediate account seems necessary?

Would love to hear your thoughts,
 -justin