>The 4-letter tags are ID3 tags.

I have custom id3 tags that are not 4-letter tag frame names.  eg. ARTISTSORT
and ALBUMARTIST tags.  Would it be better to show these as custom id3 tags,
such as as TXXX <name>: <value>?

>MP3Tag doesn't show ID3 tags in FLAC files.
It would, if the file only had id3 tags.  Mp3Tag shows what tags it has seen in
the file, and shows what one it has read into the editor.

>I also really hate how
>MP3tag renames the tags it shows you in Extended Tags instead of the
>native ID3 frame name, that's just even more confusing and makes it
>hard to know what you are actually viewing/editing.

I think it's quite a good way of doing it actually.  It isn't just an mp3/id3
tag editor - it can read many different formats and maps all of the different
types to standard field names.  That overcomes confusion when applying changes
to multiple files of multiple types.  eg. If I select a whole folder of files,
some mp3, some FLAC, some WMA, etc, I can edit the ALBUM name and it worries
about writing to TALB, ALBUM, or whatever.

The column names in the grid and quick edit panel can be configured to whatever
you like, so I guess potentially this should be done as a single configurable
mapping, and also used in the extended tags dialog.