On 13/03/2018 15:51, Ken Moffat wrote:
> The latest firefox has now been released, but their process for
> offering the source has changed (not a surprise to me, they've been
> doing this for the 59 betas) -
>
> The SOURCE file at
> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/59.0/SOURCE
> is just some text telling you where to get the source.  For the
> .tar.bz2 that is
> https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release/archive/c61f5f5ead48c78a80c80db5c489bdc7cfaf8175.tar.bz2
>
> And if I use wget the default filename is c61f5f5ead... .tar.bz2 but
> the directory within it is mozilla-release-c61f5f5ead.../
>
> Fine if you have a wide screen in which to read the book ;)
>
> I suggest that we recommend using wget so that we can change the
> filename, but I'm ambivalent about whether we should make the name
> firefox-59.0.tar.bz2 or mozilla-release-c61f5f5ead... ?

We usually don't care much about the extracted directory name. I can give a
dozen of examples where the directory name does not match the package name,
and we do not say anything...

So just provide the complete url, and make a note that if using wget, it may
be convenient to use the -O option to get a readable file name (but
personally, I never do that). And don't write about the extracted directory...

> In either case, the book will need to note that the tarball creates
> a directory called mozilla-release-c61f5f5ead... (and I'm inclined
> to use dots rather than write out all 40 hex digits, except in the
> link).

If my proposition is retained, that would not be a question anymore :)

Pierre