On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 07:18:33PM +0200, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
> On 25/08/2019 18:26, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> >
> > On the pre-9.0 system on my haswell I'll explore membership of the
> > wheel group.

Failed to startx, I think I've broken something there.  But that was
supposed to be a "generic" build (the sort I should be able to copy
to a new machine, fix up the kernel, and use to boot a new LFS) and
I'd accidentally left -march=native in the glibc build.  So, I'm
doing a fresh build of that system, with myself in the wheel group.

> I've added myself to the wheel group to see if it could change something for
> the gdm problem.
> But before that, I've been able to start X without belonging to this group
> several times before (and during my first adventures with gdm too). So no, I
> do not think you need to belong to an administrative group to access
> /dev/input/xxx. Actually, I don't think polkit is involved for accessing
> those: it is the whole purpose of dbus to provide access to hardware devices
> for normal users.

The devices in this case being /dev/input/*

> I've not read the whole thread in details (have been out of town for a day and
> a half), so you may already have tried this, but I would suggest that you try
> to recompile elogind, Xorg libraries, and then dbus again.

What are you suggesting I should do differently in recompiling
elogind ?  I've already compiled dbus for a first time, elogind,
xtrans and the rest of the xorg libs, dbus again, the usual stuff
including pixman, libdrm, Mesa, some xorg apps, polkit with its
deps, and then xorg-server.

I appreciate you haven't read the whole set of threads/subthreads,
so may I post soemthing I wrote earlier (reformatted) ?

From  /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.login1.policy

<action id="org.freedesktop.login1.attach-device">
  <description gettext-domain="systemd">Allow attaching devices to
seats</description>
  <message gettext-domain="systemd">Authentication is required for attaching a
device
to a seat.</message>
  <defaults>
    <allow_any>auth_admin_keep</allow_any>
    <allow_inactive>auth_admin_keep</allow_inactive>
    <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
  </defaults>
  <annotate
key="org.freedesktop.policykit.imply">org.freedesktop.login1.flush-devices</annotate>
  </action>

Please note that this authentication is auth_admin_keep.  From
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/latest/polkit.8.html

auth_admin

Authentication by an administrative user is required.

[...]

auth_admin_keep

Like auth_admin but the authorization is kept for a brief period (e.g. five
minutes).

That is why I think being an administrative user is required.

ĸen
--
Adopted by dwarfs, brought up by dwarfs.  To dwarfs I'm a dwarf, sir.
I can do the rite of k'zakra, I know the secrets of h'ragna, I can