On 25/08/2019 04:56, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:

> On 8/24/2019 9:53 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
>> Not sure how any of this fits with Pierre's earlier observation
>> about multiple users on the same machine, and frankly that part is
>> not my problem.  Now I really WILL step away from the machine.
>>
>> Goodnight, thanks for the assistance.
> Goodnight. Thanks for the assistance. I think ultimately we go back to setuid
> Xorg for now. We'll see what happens from there.

Well, I won't oppose that, although I do not like it: on this system, apart
from the keyboard issue with gdm, I have all DE's working (not tested
thoroughly, though), with a non suid Xorg and mountcgroupfs disabled.

For the permissions: as soon a logind is started it adds some ACL's to
/dev/dri/card0 for the logged in user (even if logged in on the console, I
think): for example:

$ getfacl /dev/dri/card0
# file: dev/dri/card0
# owner: root
# group: video
user::rw-
user:pierre:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

So no need to belong to the video group.

Note that the ACL is not changed if you do 'su - new-user'.

OTOH, for the /dev/input/* files, their permissions do not seem to be changed.
But I can tell you that I have functional keyboard and mouse, without
belonging to the input group.

Pierre