On 8/26/19 10:41 AM, Armin K. via blfs-dev wrote:
On 25. 8. 2019. 19:38, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
On 8/25/19 12:18 PM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:

[snip]

/dev/input/xxx. Actually, I don't think polkit is involved for accessing
those: it is the whole purpose of dbus to provide access to hardware
devices
for normal users.

That's my biggest problem wit dbus.  According the the website:

"D-Bus is a message bus system, a simple way for applications to talk to
one another. In addition to interprocess communication, D-Bus helps
coordinate process lifecycle; it makes it simple and reliable to code a
"single instance" application or daemon, and to launch applications and
daemons on demand when their services are needed."

But why do they need to combine interprocess communication with "launch
applications and daemons"?  IMO, this is the systemd disease.  It just
makes things more complicated.

   -- Bruce

Hi,

You seem to be missing one important piece of software in this
discussion, and that's the one and only device manager, the (E)Udev.
(E)Udev is responsible for "tagging" a device that can be accessed
through a seat that is managed by (E)logind.

What I'd suggest for you Ken, is to verify the existence of the
following (E)Udev rules on your system:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/login/70-uaccess.rules.m4

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/login/71-seat.rules.in

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/login/73-seat-late.rules.m4

Your (E)udev needs to be built with ACL support, as the access to the
tagged nodes is granted through access controls. You can verify if your
user has correct access on the nodes with "getfacl /dev/input/event0"
for example.

This way, no old-fashined group membership is required for audio, video,
cdrom, input, etc groups - if you have a local seat you have access to
these nodes, and they are granted using access controls by udev itself.

Hi Armin.  Long time....

eudev and acl are built in LFS.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/eudev.html

  -- Bruce