On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 01:44:03 -0500 Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 06:48:47AM +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
>
> Changing the title ecause this is a separate issue.
> >
> > Oh - tried updating libreoffice on another machine: with the skia
> > code it defaults to using clang (and my CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS have
> > -fstack-clash-protection which clang-10 does not understand).
> >
> > ĸen
>
> Nope, it still uses clang, which eventually fails:
>
> clang-10: error: unknown argument: '-fstack-clash-protection'
> clang-10: error: unsupported argument '8' to option 'flto='
>
> I'm guessing clang generated flto=8 (an 8-thread machine) and got
> confused by the previous unsupproted switch.
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LibreOffice-7.0-Prefers-Clang
>
> Oddly, Arch (libreoffice-fresh) do not seem to list clang or even
> llvm as deps.
>
> Fedora are using --disable-skia which might work around this.  I'll
> try that for my own builds, which are a bt less than the book (e,g, no
> java) but I think we'll need to make clang required in the book.
>
> ĸen
> --
> Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
> say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.
>                           -- Unseen Academicals
> --

I build libreoffice 7 with gcc and without clang, which I do not have
installed.  I also do not have skia installed.
It generates

checking whether to build Skia... yes
checking for clang... no
configure: WARNING: Clang compiler not found.

Takes about an hour on my i5-8600 for make build-nocheck.
Clearly they may change this in future but this suggests that clang need not be
required by the book.