On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 21:34:06 -0500 Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 02:03:18AM +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 12:25:55AM +0200, Uwe Düffert wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > *checkin*... My last build was libreoffice-7.0.0.3 and the log looks
> > > rather
> > > complete to me. Can't say when I started with that, must be quite some
> > > time
> > > ago, but I'm using:
> > >
> > > make verbose=true build-nocheck
> > >

> > > Uwe
> >
> > Thanks, I'll start over on trying to work out what changes
> > with/without clang.
> >
> > ĸen
>
> Decided to run autogen both with and without the --disable-skia.  In
> libreoffice-7.0.0.3/config_host.mk there are various differences,
> and in particular the output for the Skia test -
>
>  configure:36795: checking whether to build Skia
> -configure:36804: result: yes
> -configure:36855: checking for clang
> -configure:36871: found /usr/bin/clang
> -configure:36882: result: clang
> [snip most of remaining clang/clang++ tests]
> -configure:37243: checking whether clang++ can compile FMA intrinsics
> -configure:37264: clang++ -c  -mfma   conftest.cpp >&5
> -configure:37264: $? = 0
> -configure:37277: result: yes
> +configure:36813: result: no
>
> So from that it is clear that the Warning about missing clang is
> accompanied by disabling Skia.
>
> Will work through the builds to see if I can confirm exactly what
> differs when Skia is enabled.
>
> ĸen
> --
> I could not live without Champagne.  In victory I deserve it, in
> defeat I need it.  -- Churchill
> --

I think you may find that with clang absent and not --disable-skia, Skia is not
disabled but as the build documentation I referenced earlier says, it falls
back to unoptimized paths.
If you were to force --disable-skia then I would guess it falls back to using
Cairo as it did prior to libreoffice 7.

The clang test is looking for "FMA intrinsics" which would speed up
fused-multiply-add in the clang-present case.