On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 08:04:37AM -0500, Marty Jack via blfs-dev wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 01:44:03 -0500 Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 06:48:47AM +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> >
> > Changing the title ecause this is a separate issue.
> > >
> > > Oh - tried updating libreoffice on another machine: with the skia
> > > code it defaults to using clang (and my CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS have
> > > -fstack-clash-protection which clang-10 does not understand).
> > >
> > > ĸen
> >
> > Nope, it still uses clang, which eventually fails:
> >
> > clang-10: error: unknown argument: '-fstack-clash-protection'
> > clang-10: error: unsupported argument '8' to option 'flto='
> >
> > I'm guessing clang generated flto=8 (an 8-thread machine) and got
> > confused by the previous unsupproted switch.
> >
> > https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LibreOffice-7.0-Prefers-Clang
> >
> > Oddly, Arch (libreoffice-fresh) do not seem to list clang or even
> > llvm as deps.
> >
> > Fedora are using --disable-skia which might work around this.  I'll
> > try that for my own builds, which are a bt less than the book (e,g, no
> > java) but I think we'll need to make clang required in the book.
> >
> > ĸen
> > --
> > Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
> > say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.
> >                           -- Unseen Academicals
> > --
>
> I build libreoffice 7 with gcc and without clang, which I do not have
> installed.  I also do not have skia installed.
> It generates
>
> checking whether to build Skia... yes
> checking for clang... no
> configure: WARNING: Clang compiler not found.
>
> Takes about an hour on my i5-8600 for make build-nocheck.
> Clearly they may change this in future but this suggests that clang need not
> be required by the book.

Hmm.  Technically it is 'Recommended'.  All my systems do have clang
and I don'y have a log from the failed build, all I know for certain
is that it tried to use clang when building skia, and failed because
clang does not (in current release) support my flags.

I'm guessing that your log can be interpreted as
 should I build skia : yes (default)
 do you have clang : no
 ok, cannot build skia, issue a warning.

ĸen