Hi, everyone. I'm taking a computer programming class, and one of my projects is to develop a chess game rather than the graphical games my classmates are developing. I'm trying to figure out the best format for displaying the chess board. I have a couple ideas and want to get your input on them. This game will be played right on the command line. I have a couple ideas and just want to see which one you would prefer, or if you have suggestions for other ideas. Here are the options I've come up with. For either option, capital letters will indicate white pieces and lowercase letters will indicate black pieces. I can't think of a way to indicate the color of the square, but I'll provide a way for the player to look it up if they're not sure. The first way involves using |'s, -'s, and +'s to form squares around each spot on the board. My worry with this is that there would be a lot of output, and it might be confusing or irritating to navigate through it all with a screen reader. The second idea I had might look something like this, with .'s to indicate empty squares:

   A B C D E F G H

 1 R N B Q K B N R

 2 P P P P P P P P

Those are just the first three rows. It would be simpler to develop, but I'm not sure how well it would work when playing. What do you all think? Please also let me know if you have any other ideas. I would really appreciate it if someone could answer this as soon as possible. Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com