From: Lanie Molinar
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 3:38 AM
Subject: [blind-gamers] Developing a Chess Game to be Played on Command Line

Hi, everyone. I'm taking a computer programming class, and one of my projects
is to develop a chess game rather than the graphical games my classmates are
developing. I'm trying to figure out the best format for displaying the chess
board. I have a couple ideas and want to get your input on them. This game will
be played right on the command line. I have a couple ideas and just want to see
which one you would prefer, or if you have suggestions for other ideas. Here
are the options I've come up with. For either option, capital letters will
indicate white pieces and lowercase letters will indicate black pieces. I can't
think of a way to indicate the color of the square, but I'll provide a way for
the player to look it up if they're not sure. The first way involves using |'s,
-'s, and +'s to form squares around each spot on the board. My worry with this
is that there would be a lot of output, and it might be confusing or irritating
to navigate through it all with a screen reader. The second idea I had might
look something like this, with .'s to indicate empty squares:

   A B C D E F G H

1 R N B Q K B N R

2 P P P P P P P P

Those are just the first three rows. It would be simpler to develop, but I'm
not sure how well it would work when playing. What do you all think? Please
also let me know if you have any other ideas. I would really appreciate it if
someone could answer this as soon as possible. Thanks.