Hi Dan,

Mostly your assumptions are correct.

I have poured steps both solid and hollow. I have never sloped the cheeks but I 
have considered sloping the risers back at the bottom as an alternative to 
making a nose overhang on the tread. This reduces the chance of chipping or 
cracking some of the nose off.

When I poured a hollow set I just made a hollow box more or less like the 
stairs but allowing something like five or six inches space around all sides 
between the box and the inside finished form. Mostly I did that because I was 
mixing the cement with a small rented mixer and wanted to reduce the work by 
reducing the volume of cement I needed to make. I probably should have included 
some rebar at least in the landing and stair treads but I didn't and so far as 
I know they are still there since 1975.

These outside basement stairs are solid I think there are 9 of them. I was able 
to use one inch factory grade plywood I bought locally for the forms heavily 
reinforced with 2 by 4 including cross bracing over the top and at intervals I 
pulled steel wire through the plywood form twisting it tight to keep it from 
spreading under the weight of the cement.

You won't need forms quite that rigid but do not under estimate the weight and 
force of that weight when forming for concrete.

When assembling the forms I try to join the members in such a way as they 
reinforce each other. That is, the form for the front of the riser nails to the 
edge of the side form to help reinforce the sides not spreading. If forming a 
nose on the step then a narrower board for the riser nailed through the side 
wall into the end of the riser then complete the height of the riser with 
another board nailed to the outer face of the riser and nailed into the edge of 
the side wall form so that there is an inch and a half or more space at the top 
of the riser to the top of this applied board to form the nose of the step. 
Bevel the top of the riser so you have half a chance of getting the darn thing 
out once the cement is cured. by nailing in this way you get nails at right 
angles to each other to help lock things tighter.

Like I said, probably a better way is to lean the riser out on a slight angle 
so you don't have any potentially delicate edges to break off. You would be 
well to bevel the edges of those riser boards too so they don't leave an angled 
impression in the step below and you have a better reference for floating the 
step tread surface above. I don't think I have ever poured that way but I do 
remember a neighbour doing so. He also ran a board up the middle of the risers 
on edge with bracing fixed to the middle of the riser form boards to help keep 
them from bowing. 

I think that pouring over rubble might pose some problems. It is not unusual to 
embed rubble such as boulders in concrete to make up volume though. Often it is 
added to the mix when you mix it yourself. It makes destroying the concrete a 
bear but each cubic foot of stone is a cubic foot of concrete you don't have to 
mix. You could add rubble as you pour making sure to work it well into the 
cement and keeping well away from the edges as you pour. Pouring directly over 
rubble though might result in an unstable mess with the portland draining 
through with the water and leaving the rest less consistent. There are people 
who could probably give you better advice about that.

A mass like that shouldn't probably need any steel in it particularly if you 
have a truck deliver. Your particular situation may not lend itself well to 
that, depends on what sort of delivery is available. They have pretty long 
shoots on those trucks but yours is an up hill as well. The basement steps took 
nearly a truck load and one option was to have air added. I think they also add 
a detergent agent, the result is a more porous cement which is said to be 
better in frost conditions. They can also add fiber to the mix, I didn't have 
that but I did mix some with my brother-in-law for a cement floor in an animal 
shelter and we found that the fiber rose with the cream as we floated and 
troweled, something we didn't want the animals to be ingesting.I decided I 
didn't want to be shaving my stairs so I didn't include it.

These days they can also deliver through a hose under pressure. I don't know if 
they expect you to wrestle with the hose though, the only time I ever saw it 
done it appeared to take much strength and not a little skill.

With enough friends and enough beer you might barrow the cement into place.

As you fill the form the trick is to use a thin shovel or even a stick of 
plywood three or four inches wide to puddle the cement down into the form 
working along the walls and the back of the risers. this keeps the cement from 
forming voids and helps to distribute the cream for a nicer finish. To the 
extent you can, working the flat trowel back and forth along the wall just 
below the surface of the concrete as it is being poured can also help. This 
must be ongoing as the concrete gets heavy very quickly.

Cement is stiff enough to hold a surface on the steps as you go. You can get a 
little too much rising up but it is easily screeded off the top and can be 
thrown up into a higher level.

I usually begin trowling pretty early working under the edge of the next riser 
keeping tight under that riser to minimize any impression it leaves on the 
tread below. Once the surface is beginning to show dry I get really busy with 
the trowel to raise the cream and make a nice finish which you may later wish 
to roughen a little for traction with a stiff broom or brush.

Finally, while it is still just a little damp you can have at it with the 
rounded edging trowel. It is remarkable how dry the cement can feel and still 
be worked but leave it too long and you won't make an impression on it. You 
work the rounded edge into the cement just at the inner edge of the riser at 
the top and begin by just working side to side forming an increasingly bigger 
slot for the edging trowel to fit into. As the slot enlarges begin dropping the 
face of the trowel to the step tread and continue working until it is flat and 
to the depth you want. Some are happy just to put a little rounding on the lip 
of the step, others like a bit of a depression along the edge before the round 
over. It is all esthetic but something a blind person can certainly do.

These days people often stamp patterns into concrete using heavy rubber moulds. 
These can be anything from floral to tile patterns. I have never done this 
myself.

Once the cement is poured and finished you should probably cover it with a 
tarp. Wet sacking is often used and it makes keeping the cement damp with a 
little hose spray from time-it-time over the next couple of days much easier. I 
am not usually as fussy about that as they seem to recommend but it is true 
that slowing the cure down will make for harder and stronger concrete. Concrete 
continues to cure for years.

Now for the good news.

They sell preformed concrete steps and stoops at really pretty good prices 
these days with wonderful smooth finishes you can probably have positioned with 
a crane.
Of course they are not so much fun and rob you of the anxiety of a pour going 
wrong or having bad weather to do it in and all that but they are available for 
the faint of heart.

Hope this gives you some useful ideas and maybe a touch of inspiration.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens
Come and meet Aurora, Nakita and Nanook at our polar bear habitat.


  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Dan Rossi 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:26 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] pouring cement stairs.


  Anyone ever poured a set of cement stairs? One future project for me 
  might be to rip out my front steps up to my porch. They are cement but in 
  pretty bad shape. Many people in the neighborhood have had their's 
  patched, but within a couple of years, they are in just as bad condition. 
  The patches just don't hold up. So, I was thinking about just starting 
  over.

  So, do you build a form that just has the sides and risers there, but no 
  treads so that you can use a float or trowel to smooth over the tread? If 
  so, doesn't the weight of the cement from the riser above force the cement 
  in the lower tread to overflow? Or is cement thick enough to resist the 
  pressure? Or, is this not how you do it at all?

  There are four steps up to my front porch. There are sloping cheek walls 
  on either side of the steps.

  I assume that the cement itself is not solid all the way threw to the 
  ground, but poured over rubble? Is that correct?

  -- 
  Blue skies.
  Dan Rossi
  Carnegie Mellon University.
  E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Tel: (412) 268-9081


   

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



To listen to the show archives go to link
 http://acbradio.org/handyman.html
or
ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/

The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday

The Pod Cast address for the Cooking In The Dark Show is.
http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various List 
Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/

Visit the new archives page at the following address
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/  
For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man list 
just send a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to