the smaller Bose is about as good as it gets, really.
You could get one of those satelite radios, but you have to buy a
subscription.
Other than that, any Panasonic, boom box, or especially an Aiwa or if
Onkyo is making any.
One brand that is as much name as performance is B&O
(Bahng and Olephson).
They are good, and get design awards from interior decorators. But they
are expensive and with some looking around you can get as good a sound for
less.