I think Bose make decent consumer grade speakers.  One has to understand what
their goal is.  They want to provide the best sound
they can in the smallest enclosure possible.  Think of it as range of sound
verses the size of each speaker.  Given this, they have
done a good job.

For most folks, as long as the mid range sounds good, the highs and lows can be
ignored.  An example is: Bose uses vented  woofers
making the enclosure a lot smaller.  A lot of sound can be produced in a small
box with relatively little power.  The draw back is
the enclosure is resonate over a very narrow range of frequencies.  Bose tunes
this so they get a nice booming sound; but, this
doesn't accurately reproduce someone playing a bass guitar.  Sounds good when
that car blows up during that movie though.

Bose have developed ways of deflecting the sound from their speakers such that
the sound will both flow directly from the speaker
to our ears and indirectly by bouncing off objects in the room.  This is how we
hear naturally anyway.  So, our brains can better
relate to the artificially produced sound.  So, I wouldn't pay for Bose
technology in an open space.  However, for spreading out the
sound from a small enclosure, it is adequate.

Personally, I very much enjoy listening to music.  Late at night, I like to
listen to some good blues, jazz or
sometimes classical.  A clear full rich sound is very important to me.  I like
to hear not the instrument; but, the instrument
being played as will.

In short, Bose sound quite good for every day listening, watching TV ...
However, they can not accurately truly reproduce music
with the depth and warmth they claim.

As most things, it is a compromise.  I do think they are overpriced  because of
the Bose brand though.

Terry