I have three possibilities.

1. If you have a 9 volt water level indicator, use it.  Use your plate of food
to hold down a sheet of aluminum foil folded  so that one side sticks up.
Place the water indicator so that the two leads are very close to the foil, but
not touching.  You will have to try it to see if the buzzing sound is enough to
effedt the dog.

2. Using a coil of fine wire, such as a solenoid coil, connected to a 9 volt
battery, you can give a dog a very nice shock when he touches something you do
not want him to touch.  This setup makes a shock only when connection is made
and when the connection is broken.  It is not dangerious.
With the battery clip connected to one lead of the coild, use the other coil
lead and the unused battery clip lead to  be close to each other but not
touching.  When the dog makes contact of both leads, he get a shock, but it is
only one quick shock with no current.

3.  Many years ago, we had a dog that liked to steal from the table.  We took a
throw away tray that some meat came on from the store.  We piled up every pot
and pan in the house on it.  In the middle of the night we heard a crash.  That
dog never stole again.

John
http://WhiteCane.org
http://BlindWoodWorker.com