Hi,

I concur with the fact that you would probably be just as well of purchasing
your dehydrator – but – in case you wanted to build one use ¼ inch hardware
cloth. It is sturdy enough to keep out unwanted birds and such and will
allow plenty of air circulation.

I read (somewhere) that simply placing the fruit or whatever in your
dehydrator on the roof will do a bang up job of drying it out.

Cy, the Anasazi 

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 6:25 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Considering building my own apple drier or
dehydrator

 

  

Your wooden frame and screens is kind of what I am thinking just now to
start with. Did you use a heat element and a fan? I'm rummaging around for
unused stuff to play with the idea.
Sitting here with a small fan in my lap just now and pondering perhaps an
electric skillet as heat element to go in bottom? Probably here in east
texas, all I would need is a screened in box with vented racks of some sort,
and maybe a fan at top to speed up the process, but I haven't decided yet.
I'm wondering about some sort of webbed or porous material to stretch over
dowels or wooden frame as trays. Still in the pondering stage.

Matt
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Jim Gatteys 
To: [email protected] <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com>  
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Considering building my own apple drier or
dehydrator

Hi Matt!
I used some old wooden frames and screen nailed across them for racks for
years but finally broke down and bought an excalibur dehydrater. Best
investment I ever made. I dry tons of stuff from my garden. I'm in west
Texas and in the summer I keep the dehydrater outside while doing onions and
tomatoes. Works great.
Jim

On Jul 9, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Matt wrote:

> Hi ya folks. Lately I've gotten into drying apples and cooking pies and
stuff out of them. Mainly, I started out buying them already done from a
Mennonite owned store. I quickly got addicted to them as snack food, then
found recipes for making pies and breads out of them. I looked up
instructions on drying your own. They suggested oven on the lowest setting,
or in a car on a hot day.
> The oven works, but your spouse complains about the oven always being
busy, and you can only get so many in there at 1 time. And it does take at
least 6 hours the way I did it.
> My wife suggested I not buy a dehydrator, because as it is I am a gadget
buyer. And ya start running out of space to live after so long.
> Just now I am considering building a wooden frame which would hold cookie
sheets stacked but spaced from one another 1 on top of the other, and buying
screen to cover the outside to keep some bugs out, and putting an old fan I
have out in storage in one end of it. My idea lacks the heat element factor,
but I live in east tx, and am figuring, I could set it up in the attic, or
out in a back room where there is no air conditioning. I could go to the
trouble of forming my own screen trays, if I wanted to build them, but then
cleaning something like that with a wood frame? I don't think that would
last long. Anyone ever done this stuff, say, to make jerky or whatever?
> just curious.
> 
> Matt
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> 
> 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to