all this idea of dried fruit is making my stomach growl . so keep us
posted Matt on how you make out. Lee
\On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:42:06PM
-1000, Betsy Whitney,
Dolphin Press wrote:
> Aloha Matt,
> My friend made trays with extruded aluminum just
> like some folks use to make window screens. Then
> she could just take them out in the yard and squirt them off with the hose.
> She made a tent out of screen that was open on
> the bottom so it could just be set over the whole
> stack of trays. She used some sort of round metal
> sticks to separate the stacked trays. I remember
> that she had some sort of round stops on the
> separation sticks, and the frames of the trays
> had wholes for the separating sticks to fit into.
> I'll try to reach her via email. She lives in
> California now, but she used to dry apples,
> pineapple, bananas, papaya, mango, parsley, and basil when she lived here.
> Betsy
> At 11:37 AM 7/9/2010, you wrote:
> >
> >
> >Hi ya folks. Lately I've gotten into drying
> >apples and cooking pies and stuff out of them.
> >Mainly, I started out buying them already done
> >from a Mennonite owned store. I quickly got
> >addicted to them as snack food, then found
> >recipes for making pies and breads out of them.
> >I looked up instructions on drying your own.
> >They suggested oven on the lowest setting, or in a car on a hot day.
> >The oven works, but your spouse complains about
> >the oven always being busy, and you can only get
> >so many in there at 1 time. And it does take at least 6 hours the way I did
> >it.
> >My wife suggested I not buy a dehydrator,
> >because as it is I am a gadget buyer. And ya
> >start running out of space to live after so long.
> >Just now I am considering building a wooden
> >frame which would hold cookie sheets stacked but
> >spaced from one another 1 on top of the other,
> >and buying screen to cover the outside to keep
> >some bugs out, and putting an old fan I have out
> >in storage in one end of it. My idea lacks the
> >heat element factor, but I live in east tx, and
> >am figuring, I could set it up in the attic, or
> >out in a back room where there is no air
> >conditioning. I could go to the trouble of
> >forming my own screen trays, if I wanted to
> >build them, but then cleaning something like
> >that with a wood frame? I don't think that would
> >last long. Anyone ever done this stuff, say, to make jerky or whatever?
> >just curious.
> >
> >Matt
> >
> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
--
In vino veritas.
[In wine there is truth.]
-- Pliny