I don't know about electricity usage, they do not get very hot. But
efficiency is the argument there that is unnecessary. I just wanted to
chime in here with "popiel being just fine for delicious banana chips;
after a little trial and error on time and placement. it's a funny stack
of trays, hard plastic and stackable. You can add or remove in process.the
element is in the bottom and the top is just a lid.
I strongly recommend something other for jerky as the fats will leak
through the bottom. I don't know if the paperwork advises against meats,
or omits them, but that's my advice on that.