Hi Jennifer, may I suggest seeking a grant from  a local  community
program. Like where i live it would be called Columbia opportunities.
most counties thru  the area of the states have these programs. also
call that insurance company and  tell them your plight lay it right out
but  you will even sign a lettter of intent to seek funding to  do  the
needed repairs. I had such a situation but only because of a bad roof
years ago and I disagreed with them as we had no leaks. however she said
show me a contract  or intent with a contractor and they the insurance
company extended the  shut off for 30 days.  wow you got a claim  paid
for water damage? twice we tried that after being flood and oh no it
was" an act of God". yeah  right. either way  good luck. check with
your local agencies  even your Mayors office  to ask where to seek
emrgency funding. One more long stretch.  is to check with your local
Boy Scout Troop.  maybe they could spruce up the  yard and throw a paint
job on the  front stairs or something  as a Eagle Project.  . keep us
posted and good luck. Lee

 On Fri,
Aug 27, 2010 at 05:30:24AM -0500, Jennifer Jackson wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>

> I have myself in a difficult spot and I do not know how to ask what I need
> without giving some of the back ground. It will not help me to get advice
> that does not take in the full picture.
>

> My home owner's insurance is about to be canceled. Essentially this is based
> on our not keeping our home in good repair. My husband is in total denial
> about it being our fault, but he is wrong. So my two questions are how do I
> get insurance on a house when I have had two water damage claims in the last
> year, and wat are the main things to try and get looking decent before the
> inspection.  I do mean essential too. My yard is over grown and I have holes
> in my walls and ceilings.
>

> I do not know how to make my husband care enough about where we live to be
> better about this. My hope is that now that the kids are all in school I
> will be able to do some of these things myself. It has just become urgent
> because I have got to get someone in here to inspect and approve us for new
> insurance. I am sorry I am not sounding to optimistic here, but I just had
> another big fight with my husband about the roof and other needed repairs. I
> am feeling a little to drained to sound positive.
>

> Jennifer

No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation with detail.