I also have to add to this Jennifer and it is an unpleasant topic. Aside from
what Dale has mentioned, you need to find out why your spouse is not motivated
to address the issues and he needs to understand that without insurance, the
entire family is at risk. If you have a mortgage on the property, it is likely
one of the requirements is that appropriate homeowners insurance be maintained.
If you cannot get him to understand these issues, you may need to seek outside
assistance such as a counselor etc.
He needs to understand that this is a team effort and his participation is
necessary and desired for success of obtaining insurance.
I wish you luck, you do have some issues ahead of you. I agree with Dale
however, that you do need to determine what is the cause of these problems with
the house as well.