On Mon, 2022-02-14 at 18:12 +0100, Paolo Vecchi wrote:
>  Hi Kendy,
>
> On 14/02/2022 16:42, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
>

> > In my world [regardless of the hat], a constructive debate is much
> > easier over a document collecting:
> >
> > * the problem statement & the need
> > * the pros & cons of various solutions
> > * the proposal & conclusion
>
>  Something like this?:
>
>  *     As shown by Italo's slides at FOSDEM again and by others, TDF
> is not contributing as much as it could
>  *     Up to now no strategic decisions have been taken to make TDF a
> more regular and active code contributor
>  *     Members of the ecosystem and others also suggested that we
> should spend more money in development
>  *     Bugs, a11y issues and features can be harder to taken care of
> by volunteers and are not always addressed by the ecosystem
>  *     We need to build up internal skills and development
> capabilities to speed up innovation
>  *     Lack of suppliers diversification, mostly 2 at present, is a
> suboptimal situation for TDF, LibreOffice and its community
>  *     Internal developers can grow to cover areas like mentoring and
> QA while also helping with new contributors support
>  *     TDF needs to expand its internal capacity to deal with
> publishing in app stores directly and manage variable levels of
> complexity due to ever changing rules
>  *     Some proposed projects could be developed internally instead
> of outsourcing them, which helps to grow in-house skills and capacity
> to address our donors needs
>  *     Potential App Stores revenues may allow for more developers
> and to invest in developing other projects
>  *     Our development mentor together with the team should propose
> to the BoD projects for internal development
>  *     While internal projects may cover different areas tenders and
> ESC proposals will be also evaluated to avoid effort duplication
>  *     This is not "just" a new project, it's an essential and
> strategical move for TDF to grow further in its second decade which
> widens the horizon for new visions and opportunities to do more and
> even better things for LibreOffice and our community
>  *     Funds are available for at least 2 developers allowing us to
> start employing them straight away
>  *     Next steps: create and publish the job offers for developers
> and on-board them ASAP
>
>  This has allowed to get a feel for the proposal, which seems very
> positive, and now we'll be working on the details but at least it
> showed that the community thinks we are moving in the right
> direction.
>
>  Then should the new developers invest 30% of their time in QA, 50%
> in bug fixing and 20% in reviewing tenders and deliverables?
>  That's something we should see with the team as they have a very
> good feel of what is going on.

I think at least some of the push back is less against the concept that
TDF should hire developers and more that it's a clearer path to start
with some specific problems and then what options could solve them and
hiring can be an option on that decision tree. It's a rare dev that has
skills in multiple appstores, mentoring, qa, a11y, CTL, CJK and
bugfixing in the various quite diverse components.