From: brewtus@googlegroups.com <brewtus@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Benjamin
McCafferty
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:29 AM
To: brewtus@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: brewtus 2 brew pressure control failing

Hey Eric,

Any chance your pump is failing instead? Before I converted to rotary, I had
similar symptoms each time a vibe pump failed, if memory serves. You could
search (really) old threads from me when this was happening. But if I recall
correctly, the pump would sometimes develop pressure, sometimes not, and it was
maddening until I sorted it out. Similar to what you describe in the OPV, the
sides of the piston in the vibe pump looked totally fine, but they were worn
and binding up, etc. I do think the OPV should be relatively smooth, but doubt
it’s the issue, especially with a new one in there. Scale could indeed cause
any moving part to bind, but a new OPV has no scale on it of course. You could
also have chunks of scale that have broken off and are fouling the pump
intermittently. It’s pretty easy to disassemble the pump to check for this.

As to why it would develop highest pressure at the midpoint; just taking a
SWAG, but I wonder if that setting is giving just the right amount of back
pressure to a failing pump and letting it work most effectively?

I’d try a known good pump, if possible. You may end up down the rabbit hole,
though, because you might see scale in the end of water tubing, and get a case
of the “while I’m here”s...

Best and let us know,

bmc

On Apr 11, 2018, at 08:19, Eric Christoffersen <zakt...@gmail.com