On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Trent Shipley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    However, the government does face a strategic problem with
    southern marshland.  My several-year-old best knowledge was that
    it planned to drain the southern swamps.  ...

This plan is done.  According to a map in a some magazine I was
reading recently (probably Science or Science News, but maybe the
Economist), very little of the southern marshland is now left.
Commercial satellite photos show the changes.  The biggest remaining
segment crosses the border into Iran.

    This will directly eliminate the life-way of rural southern Shi'i
    groups called "Marsh Arabs".  This will eliminate an ancient way
    of life; ....

In addition, the endeavor eliminated hiding places for people in
rebellion against the current Iraqi government.

--
    Robert J. Chassell            [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com