At 06:36 PM 10/14/02, Julia Thompson wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 10/14/2002 10:55:36 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> > <<
> >  That was an hour ago. I'm calm now.
> >   >>

> > This may help.
> >
> > If you ever get a phone solicitation about double pane windows, they
> usually
> > use the words comfort and security. Tell the salesperson that you raise pit
> > bulls for a living. You don't need more security. When they remind you
> of the
> > insulation value, say very quickly:
> >
> > Oh no need there. I tape the dogs to the windows.
> >
> > ...and hang up immediately.
> >
> > Just a small victory.
>
>If you're getting tired of home-improvement home solicitations, the
>quickest way to get away from them is tell them that you rent.
>
>For specific types of home improvement:
>
>I guess the above works very nicely on the windows.  :)
>
>If anyone is trying to sell you siding, telling them that it's a brick
>house will usually end the call right there.  Those are the ones we've
>had the most of.  Once Dan started telling them it was a brick house,
>the calls started dropping off.
>
>         Julia

Not necessarily, though.

My parents before me and now I have lived in this houseš since August 1964,
and I still get them.

(šIt was brick when we bought it, AFAIK it was brick when it was built in
1957, and it is still the same brick . . . )

Of course, I still get snail mail spam from Sears Home Improvements
addressed to my mother, who passed away in October 1989, regardless of my
marking them "RETURN TO SENDER--ADDRESSEE DECEASED" and sending them back . . .

--Ronn! :)

I always knew that I would see the first man on the Moon.
I never dreamed that I would see the last.
         --Dr. Jerry Pournelle