At 04:51 PM 10/19/2002 +0200 J. van Baardwijk wrote:
>>Or is it just that the Europeans realize all these things and still don't
>>consider the UN to be discredited?
>
>You should get more familiarised with the structure of the UN. You complain
>about the credibility (or lack thereof) of the Security Council, but the
>UNSC is only a small part of the UN (the UN has 191 members, the UNSC has
>15). So, what will it be: is only the UNSC a discredited organisation in
>your opinion, or is the entire UN a discredited organisation in your
>opinion?

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeroen, I've spent the past 12 years of my life studying the United
Nations.

Anyhow, if you knew the first thing about the United Nations, you would
know that the UN Charter assigns responsibility for "peace and security"
matters to the UN Security Council.    Thus, since the Security Council is
a completely discredited body (cf. Rwanda, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, the
past 10 years of letting Iraq walk all over their resolutions, etc.), when
the Europeans refer a peace and security matter to the Untied Nations, they
are referring it to a discredited body.

>The UN has not been a "completely discredited body". I know that *you* have
>a dislike for the UN, but apparently most countries do not. If they did,
>why would they insist on UN support for actions against Iraq? It makes no
>sense for them to want approval from an organisation they consider
>"discredited".

Apparently, the Europeans haven't figured out yet that it is discredited.
Or maybe the Europeans are more comfortable than Americans with referring
matters of National Security to the Chinese who are arming one's enemies, a
state-sponsor of terrorism, and the French who are willing to sell WMD
technology to one's enemies.

JDG

John D. Giorgis         -               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
People everywhere want to say what they think; choose who will govern
them; worship as they please; educate their children -- male and female;
 own property; and enjoy the benefits of their labor. These values of
freedom are right and true for every person,  in every society -- and the
duty of protecting these values against their enemies is the common
calling of freedom-loving people across the globe and across the ages.
                -US National Security Policy, 2002