I'm taking brin out at his request.  I've been meaning to answer this for
some time, and I sorta waited to late to get a response from the author.
But, better late then never, I guess.
----- Original Message -----
From: "d.brin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2002 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: brin: war

> Given the frequency of irrational tyrants andzealots and the
> proliferation of WMD, do you envision such a situation holding even
> 50 years?
>
> If so, HOW can you manage such a mental feat?

Because it is highly probable.  The world has had states of one kind or
another for at least 4000 years.  The idea that, after all this time, they
would wither away and a world government would form in 50 years is
possible, but not very likely.

It is interesting that you are the first person I've read who has hinted at
all that this was an expected results.  That doesn't prove you wrong, of
course, but I think it shows that some very intellegent people, who have
worked productively in the field of foreign affairs for years don't believe
it is true.  So, at a minimum, the idea that there will not be a world
government in 50 years is a reasonable one.

But, I argue for much more than that.  I think it is very unlikely that a
a world govement would form within 50 years. I've already given my first
arguement: it is rare that 4000+ years of history all come to a conclusion
in 50 years.

Part of the reason for that is that it takes generations to change world
views.  For example, it is usually  third generation Amerericans that
become indistinguishable from other Nth generation Americans.  There is a
big uproar in some circles that some second generation Hispanic Americans
still speak Spanish as their first language.  While I agree with the need
to mainstream all new Americans as quickly as possible, I should also point
out that my Mom, who was a fourth generation American, didn't speak English
until she went to school.

In addition, if you look at Europe, you see an area that started out with a
Common Market 50 years ago, and are now starting to form a European Union
that is still too weak to call a government (personally, I'd put the
Articles of Confederation level of federal power as the lower limit.)
Since they started out with much more common culture than, say, Tibet and
the US, it is probable that it was easier for Europe.

Finally, dictatorships would have to be forceably ended and representative
governments formed.  My "daughter" from Africa points out how hard it is to
transfer representative governments to places which still believe in
trusting authority with little question.

Finally, things like a common government take a lot of trust.  For example,
would the industrialized world really agree to a world government that
could set tax rates?  Some day, after the developing nations develop, very
possibly.  But, that will take more than 50 years, alas.

> If not, then how do you envision a world of law coming about?  If not
> via the UN, then in what way?

The world is full of possibilities.  John's earlier suggestion of NATO
being enlarged to encompass all democracies (earlier as in years earlier)
is one possibility.  Multinational non-governmental organizaitons is
another.  A totally transformed UN is a third.

But, that is so many years away, that speculation on limited data now is
fairly meaningless.  After hearing "The Times They Are A'Changing" played
in a bookstore, I was reminded of how obvious clear trends can be reversed.

Finally, I've been thinking that, since db's time here is limited, we
should not expect him to read our responses to him.  So, maybe we should
only use "brin" for direct questions a number of us would want him to spend
a little time answering.

Dan M.